Sunday, June 12, 2016

Week 27: Dr. Appt + What People are Saying

Three months to go, and my baby bump is NO JOKE. In the last few weeks, the commentary and expectation from strangers and casual acquaintances has increased significantly.

At church:

"You're any day now, aren't you?!"

and

"Are you carrying twins???"

At the gym:

"How much longer do you have?"

and

"Girl, you're about to pop!!!"

At the pool, with the other three kiddos in tow:

"Is this your last?"

I know some (most?) pregnant women get offended by these types of comments, but I guess I can see where everyone is coming from. I look about the same as a girl from our ward did the day before she delivered. Maybe bigger. And also, I'm kind of a big believer in the idea that we choose to be offended. None of these people was meaning to be rude. So I save my irritation/anger for stuff that really ticks me off, like inconsiderate drivers and Time Warner Cable.

Another doctor appointment has come and gone--the second-to-last one before we move. When my doctor asked me how I was I told her how worried I was about all the change and transition coming up in the next month. She took it all to heart and kept hugging me throughout the appointment.

It was my glucola visit! It was just as terrible and nauseating as I remembered, though I did request the orange this time, which always helps. Orange is better than fruit punch. That day they stuck me thrice on the left arm: once on this way over-bandaged finger for an iron test (below), once in the crook of my elbow where they extracted three vials of blood to check for gestational diabetes, and a third time to give me a vaccination.


The nasty power-punch of sugar threw me off all day and I felt queasier than usual. But the phlebotomist thought it was funny when I promised to "try not to wuss out on [her]" while she drew my blood, so that helped. :)

The rest of the week was a blur! We had a pre-con phone conference with our contractor in TX (are we really building a house?!), lots of kiddo swimming lessons, Steve's last night at the DEAC volunteer clinic, Gracie's last day of school, and a trip to Richmond for Steve's 3rd Tough Mudder race. Super busy, super fun, and a great way to usher in the summertime.

Stats (as of doctor appt):
Weeks pregnant: 26 weeks, 3 days
Baby's fruit/food size: Head of Lettuce
Net weight gain: 20 lbs
Doctor visits: 6
Cups peed in: 6
Blood draws: 5
Ultrasounds: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment