Transcribed [almost] word for word from my journal entry on December 30, 2015.
I'm pregnant.
I took the test today. This morning. Mom and Dad are visiting, and I thought I'd wait, but my calendar said this was day 27 of my cycle. And I couldn't wait. I crept upstairs while they were engrossed (Mom playing Legos with Grace, Dad teaching Steve how to use a Dremmel) and peed in a cup (glamour) and dropped four tiny drops onto a Dollar Store pregnancy test and counted. You're supposed to wait 2 minutes.
With Charlie I saw the pink line immediately.
This one I stared at, watching the control line turn dark pink--and then nothing.
My heart was hammering.
I was counting--68, 69, 70.
Nothing.
I was almost ready to throw it out. I felt a pang of disappointment. And then somewhere around I'm guessing the count of 110...
Was that a line?
I turned it to the side a little. Was I just catching the reflection of the empty line where the pink line would be--if I was pregnant?
Or was it--was it?--a real second line?
I watched it for another 30 seconds as slowly, slowly it became clear enough to see.
It was a second line.
A baby...?
Should I tell Steve?
Maybe I should take another test first, to be sure.
I could go buy one later, tell him for sure tomorrow.
But it turned out I couldn't wait. I went downstairs and asked if I could borrow him.
Upstairs in the bathroom, I held out the test.
He was incredulous. (We hadn't been trying that long!)
We laughed. We hugged. He told me he was excited. He said people will really think we're crazy. :) I told him--we already have three, what's one more?
He had to go to work at 2pm. At 2:47 he texted me:
"Um... Baby?!"
And I just keep looking at our positive test. <3

No comments:
Post a Comment