Saturday night after dinner, I felt wrong. Just off. And I knew:
The nausea was starting.
I've been taking a preemptive anti-nausea cocktail of B6 and Unisom every night since two days after I found out I was pregnant (on the recommendation of my doctor, don't fret!) and I admit that in the back of my mind I secretly hoped that maybe this time I wouldn't get knocked down so hard with morning sickness... Or... at all?
Saturday wasn't bad. It just wasn't right. Things (like the ground beef I'd just cooked and so desperately wanted in our spaghetti sauce) were irrationally disgusting me. Aversions. And I had that wrong taste in my mouth. And I just felt kind of... icky.
I told Steve after the kids went to bed that I could feel the warning signs. My days of morning-sickness free dining were numbered. Bless his heart, he told me to get to the grocery store immediately, and buy whatever I wanted.
I walked through and picked out anything that looked delicious and/or potentially edible in the forthcoming nausea days.
The spoils included:
Dole Orange Mango juice
White Cheddar Cheez-Its
Wheat Thins
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese
Medium cheddar
Strawberry Toaster Strudels (with 30% more icing?!)
Various soups
3 pints of Ben & Jerry's (2 for me, 1 for Steve): Chocolate Fudge Brownie and The Tonight Dough
By the next morning, things were starting to taste wrong. My Dole juice was sad (but Steve happily took over, and drank it so quickly that he got a minor allergic reaction to the mango, which usually only happens when he eats the actual fruit).
And its gotten slowly worse over the course of this week. First it was just in waves, but today it has been pretty much all day long.
After we dropped Charlie off at preschool, Juliette and I made pilgrimages to CVS and Trader Joe's, where I picked up Sea Bands (CVS) and copious amounts of ginger flavored things (ginger, crystallized ginger, ginger mints, and triple ginger snaps) as well as things my crazy pregnant body thinks I want to eat: two types of meatballs, some chicken sausage, and a package of frozen corn dogs. I comfort myself that these are all about as healthy as they can be, since they at least came from Trader Joe's.
So I'm officially morning sick. It's sad and I'm not a fan, but I'm trying to keep my eye on the big picture: this is an infinitesimally small effort on my part when I consider that the end product of an uncomfortable pregnancy is a brand new beautiful human life. A brand new Walton baby to love.
Do Sea Bands actually work?
Does ginger truly have anti-emetic properties?
Will I need to add Zofran to my already pill-heavy evening medicating routine?
And will I ever get the Sourdough Jack burger that I have been irrationally but powerfully craving for the past three days?!?! (The nearest Jack in the box is 1 hour away! Woe!)
The answers to these questions (and more!) that you didn't ask will be revealed in the coming weeks!

No comments:
Post a Comment