The closer I get to the end of the first trimester, the more light there seems to be at the end of the tunnel. :) Hitting the 12 week mark last Friday (baby fruit size: "large plum") I noticed that I was feeling less queasy in the mornings (evenings are still not as great) and throwing up MUCH less. YES!!!! Down from 3-4 times per day in the early weeks, to 1-2 in the later weeks, and in weeks 11 and 12 each incident was several days apart.
The intense depression that accompanied being incapable of doing/enjoying most of the normal things my life entailed before pregnancy also began to lift. I'm still not back to normal, but I feel like "normal" (well normal-ish, anyway) is something that might actually be possible again someday.
I've started getting dressed again. Just feeling well enough to get dressed, make the bed, and drive the kiddos to school (without wondering if I'm about to embarrass myself in the drop-off line) is a balm to my soul. Really. Not exaggerating.
And Steve and I have been able to hang out in the evenings, again. For a while I had to go right to bed or I would (you guessed it!) throw up. But now, as long as I eat a big bowl of rice after dinner to settle my stomach, I can usually hang out for two episodes of Person of Interest, and/or until almost ten. And we've been sleeping in the same bed again for a couple of weeks, which--hooray! I missed him. He's my bestie.
It turned out that the beginnings of really feeling better came none too soon, because while I was in agony and despair on the sofa over the last few months, I apparently forgot to pay the utility bill for so long that we got a letter threatening to cut our water off.
I opened the notice just in time to pay it.
I also have about 30 overdue library books, which the library has sent me multiple notices about. I should get a bill for those this week--hopefully I remember to turn the books in before then.
Aaaaaaand I didn't fill out the paperwork (due at the beginning of February) to renew the kids' insurance with the state. So they almost lost coverage altogether. I was lucky to get in touch with the nicest caseworker ever, who told me if I could get her all the paperwork by 2/29, she would be able to save me. And she did. I have some thank you notes to write to lots of people for helping this trimester, starting with her.
Steve had the week off. He'd originally scheduled this time off so I could go visit my BFF Suzi (who I haven't seen in 3 years!) in Arizona. Buuuut then we found out I was pregnant, and we rescheduled because we knew I'd be all-day sick and not much fun as a house guest. :)
So instead he spent the week working on final touches to get the house ready to sell. (We are BAWLING inside about this.) He re-dug and finished out a beautiful french drain in the back yard (a project he has been dreading for literally a year) with the help of some co-residents, Ann and Dennis, who came over to lend a hand. He and I deep cleaned and staged the house on Tuesday morning to prepare it for the photographer.
And then March 1st, it went on the market.
We don't know where we're going yet, and it makes me heartsick every time it hits me that we're leaving this sweet little home. But we didn't even know where Winston was when Steve got accepted to med school here almost 7 years ago, and it has been wonderful. We met kindred spirits. We really became our own family here. And I'm excited to see what Heavenly Father has planned for us next.
...I just a little bit wish I could pick up our house and transplant it wherever we are going. :)
In baby-related news, I've been feeling kicks since week 11! I totally thought I was crazy (I have never felt one earlier than week 14) and didn't tell Steve. But the days passed and it became more and more clear to me that the little tap-tap-tap I feel when I'm sitting on a step, with my knees up by my chest, is our little bun. I feel it pretty regularly now a few times a day, usually bumping against the spot where the seam of my stretchy preggo pants hit. (I bought some stretchy pants because the regular ones hurt my abdomen--and because I wanted to wear something that wasn't leggings!)
Steve and I also got to go to our 12-week ultrasound together. Baby's measurements were good (yay!) and we got a good 10 minutes of baby-watching. It was amazing to see how much it had changed since we had our first scan at almost 9 weeks. It went from a little gummy bear with little stubby arms and legs to a full-fledged little person with long legs kicking around. It wiggled and bounced and moved its arms and legs. Steve was transfixed. :)
Almost-9-week gummy bear:
12 week scan--totally baby looking!
From this angle you can't see how long its little legs and arms are, but I was shocked to see how big they'd grown!
The hemorrhage was about the same size, but according to the tech (and my ultrasound-knowledgeable hubs) it looks like its starting to clot. (Which is good, because clotting is part of healing.)
We rounded out the visit with a blood draw, at which point I was very thankful for good phlebotamists. I know I've done this pregnancy thing 3 times before, but I'm still not the biggest fan of getting my blood drawn, and feel very wussy about it in my head. Though I think I hold myself together well enough, minus a little bit of overly enthusiastic conversation which I use to distract myself from the NEEDLE. :p
Stats (as of ultrasound):
Weeks pregnant: 12 weeks, 6 days
Baby's fruit size: Large plum
Net weight gain: ? (Didn't check)
Doctor visits: 2
Cups peed in: 2
Blood draws: 2
Ultrasounds: 4




No comments:
Post a Comment