Steve and I figure we've been living this upside down lifestyle for about a month now, which is both encouraging (4 weeks down! Go us!) and disheartening (Only halfway done with the sickness?!). As with most of the tough stuff we've gone through (a lot of which has been pregnancy related, actually) we are trying to laugh about it as much as possible. Its sort of a "this is so pathetic" laughter, but still--it beats tears most days.
We decided to share the news with the world at large yesterday, when we officially hit our 10-week mark, so the day before we let Charlie and Juliette in on the news, too. Charlie was pretty calm about it. I think it is a little mind-blowing, and he just took it in and processed it without the giddiness of big sister's response. He has been talking about the baby, though, and making suggestions (maybe we could have a door to the stairs instead of a baby gate for the next baby?). Its slowly infiltrating his awareness of our family, and it is sweet to hear him discuss "the next baby."
When we told Juliette, she just laughed, because she is two, and why in the world would Mom have a baby inside her stomach?!
We showed them both the ultrasound, and they both mulled over the possibility that this blurry gummy-bear was a picture of a tiny baby inside their mama.
The internet was very excited about our announcement. My fav response was from Melisa Turbyfill (@mtanverdi), which I screencapped and texted to Steve at work:
Juliette is laying with me on the couch, and when she saw me post this screencap she said, "That's the baby!" So we pulled out my phone and looked at the real picture of it a couple times. "You want to see the baby?" she says when she needs another look. Then I pull it up and she points to the little gummy bear and says, "That's the baby!"
Jules has been a great little buddy and caretaker over the last few weeks. Yesterday she lay on the couch for hours watching PBS while I was curled in a ball under my own blanket. (The days I have wake up at a reasonable hour and to drive kids around make me unreasonably sick.) I took a nap, and she chilled by me. This morning she went upstairs to retrieve her blanket when I settled in for some cantaloupe.
(My daily diet is some combination of rice, croissant, bagel, and cantaloupe. Non-stop. I miss hamburgers.)
Because it is Saturday and I got to sleep until my body's preferred 9am and haven't had to leave the house, I've felt semi-okay and had enough energy to sort through my inbox. (Which--ugh!) It is nice to have that whittled down even if it isn't completed. I still have some things I need to work on, but I'm trying to keep stopping points in mind so I don't overdo it. When I overdo it, I start losing my meals, and that is very, very sad.
Valentine's Day is tomorrow. Steve and I have agreed to postpone until I feel better. It will be more fun to celebrate when we can eat together, because we love food so most of our celebrations center on eating it. :) The kiddos will get some fun little gifties that Steve picked out for them from us, and yesterday the big kids both had school parties that loaded them up with treats. It was pretty cute--they both responded the same way when they got home: Sat right down with their bags and went through their spoils with my one by one.
Gracie chose a wonderfully themed Valentine's outfit, and left for school in a pale pink heart-covered T, magenta headband, and bright pink pants with holes in the knees. I can't believe my first little babe is so grown up now. She is a wonder.
Steve got home from work tired. He is very tired lately, poor guy. More apt than usual to fall asleep without planning it. Yesterday he settled in on the floor near me, and Juliette brought him a pillow and blanket. He was out and snoring in minutes, and happy to get the recharge before getting up to make the kiddos their pizza.




No comments:
Post a Comment